Delicious, creamy and easy-to-make mashed potatoes. An excellent recipe for a beginner! Get my efficiency and safety tips on my video. To reach the mashed potato portion of the above video, go to the 5:45 mark. Thank you!
Classic Butter and Milk Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs potatoes peeled and chopped into coarse but uniform chunks
- water for boiling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- Boil potatoes in salted water until the potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Strain potatoes and place in bowl of stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix the potatoes. This will break up the cooked potatoes and partially mash them. Use spatter shield to protect yourself and others from the errant hot potato propellent.
- Add butter and milk.
- Mix until butter is melted and milk has been absorbed into the potatoes.
- To get a very light, whipped potato, use the balloon whip attachment and beat at highest speed until until potatoes are light and fluffy.
- Turn out potatoes in serving dish and dot with butter. Serve immediately or cool and store.
- To reheat, bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.