Like salt and vinegar chips only with the added green flavor and snap of fresh green beans. The almonds compliment this dish so well and make the overall flavor profile nutty, creamy, salty, puckery and fresh.
Balsamic and Almond Green Beans
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb green beans stems removed
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
- In a hot, heavy-bottomed pan, add olive oil and all of the green beans. Let the green beans sizzle a little. Turn bunches of them with tongs, just to make sure they are all getting a chance to sizzle. Heat and turn for about three minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and continue to move the green beans around the pan.
- Add the salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- When the green beans are mostly seared, push them to the edges of the pan and add a pat of butter. Let the butter melt, then add the almonds.
- Let the almonds toast on the pan. When the almonds have turned a golden brown, immediately take the pan off the heat and transfer the green beans and almonds to a serving platter.