JUST FOR FUN.
A great cake to make if you’re interested in a fun, light project that’s not too serious.
Classic American Buttercream
- Heavy Duty Stand Mixer is recommended
- 1 pound unsalted butter softened
- 2 pounds powdered sugar (8 cups) you can omit 1-2 cups if you want a less-sweet icing
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream add more for a smoother less-stiff icing
- Using the paddle attachment of your mixer, whip the butter until light and fluffy
- Add the powdered sugar a bit at a time. Scrape down the sides of the mixer with a spatula, intermittently.
- Add the salt and the heavy whipping cream. Whip on high for a couple minutes.
- Swap out the paddle attachment for the balloon whip attachment. Whip on high for about 3 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap until it's time to use the icing.
- Always make more buttercream than you think you'll need. It freezes excellently.