I fell in love with savoy cabbage back when we lived in England. Savoy cabbage is a curly, dark green cabbage that tastes like a combination of kale and cabbage. It’s an autumn and winter vegetable that’s high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. I was thrilled to find my first savoy cabbage of the fall on Saturday.
I love to braise a whole savoy cabbage (sliced) in olive oil and beef broth and with A LOT of garlic. I start it on the stovetop and finish it covered, in the oven. I used my 12 inch cast iron skillet (with top). The best garnish for this gorgeous concoction is “Chili Crisp” oil. It’s hot and spicy and absolutely addictive! Link: https://amzn.to/3thL4ES
Braised Savoy Cabbage
- 1 whole Savoy cabbage cored and sliced
- 10-14 cloves garlic peeled and left whole
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a hot cast iron skillet heat the olive oil and add the cabbage slices in batches. As each batch wilts you'll be able to fit in more cabbage. Stir and sizzle until you've got a somewhat uniform singe on the slices.
- Add the whole (peeled) garlic cloves and the beef broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover skillet and pop in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- The cabbage and should braise to a soft, nutty dish. Salt and pepper to taste. I found that chili crisp oil was an incredible condiment for this dish.